COVID-19 and sailing
Events cancelled or postponed by COVID-19
We hope you are all safe and healthy.
Most of the daily life in the world is affected by the coronavirus. Many countries shut down. Many sailing events are cancelled for the time being and some international waters may no longer be navigated. How long this will last is hard to say.
It will be a hard time for everybody involved in the sailing business. But let’s not forget this situation will go over.
We try to keep you up to date with cancelled and postponed events underneath this article.
We wish you health and safety during these difficult times and hope to see you in future on one of the boats for a sailing event.
Cancelled or postponed sailing events:
- April 23: De Guingand Bowl with a start on Saturday 6th June has been cancelled. The race traditionally sails a course relatively close to the Isle of Wight with a Club finish back in the Solent. Read more
- April 23: The 230nm Myth of Malham race, scheduled to start on Saturday 23rd May (Bank Holiday), has been cancelled. The course from Cowes, around Eddystone Lighthouse and back to a finish in the western Solent, mirrors the first 130nm of the Rolex Fastnet Race and takes in some of the most complex tidal gates around notable headlands that include Portland Bill and Start Point. Read more
- April 18: The 68th edition of the Rolex Giraglia 2020 is postponed. The regatta, scheduled from 5 to 13 June between Saint-Tropez and Genoa, has been postponed until next year and will be held from 11 to 19 June 2021. Read more
- April 14: The Transat Quebec Saint-Malo which was due to start on 12 th July is cancelled. The organisers are looking at different scenarios for the next race. Read more
- April 10: The Round Ireland Race has been postponed. The new start date for the 704-mile race will be Sat 22nd August 2020, subject to government guidelines. Read more
- April 7: The Palermo-Montecarlo XVI edition has been cancelled due to the complications related to Covid-19 emergency. Therefore, the appointment with the XVI Palermo-Montecarlo is postponed to August 2021. Read more
- March 30: Rolex Capri Sailing Week is postponed to the 2021 edition, with the following schedule:
- Maxi Yacht Capri Trophy: May 11th to 14th, 2021,
- ORC European Championship: May 15th – 21st,
- Regata dei Tre Golfi (160 miles long-distance race): start from Naples at midnight on May 15th. Read more
- March 27: The Cork Week Regatta, the IRC European Championships, and many other activities organised by the ROYAL Cork Yacht Club, who was going to have their Tricentenary celebrations in July, have all been cancelled. The oldest yacht club in the world announced that they took this difficult decision in conjunction with their partners to safeguard the health of sailors, visitors, volunteers and the community at large, and to give certainty to those participants and visitors who had scheduled to come to Cork in July. RORC’s Morgan Cup race, scheduled for 8th July was to act as a feeder race for the Cork Tricentenary Celebrations, however, due to the cancellation, the course will no longer head to Ireland. At this stage, there is no planned replacement course, but it likely to finish in the vicinity of the Solent.
- March 27: The Cervantes Trophy race from Cowes, Isle of Wight to Le Havre, France scheduled for the 8th May has been cancelled. Le Havre port remains closed and is unlikely to re-open until later in May or early June.
- March 27: RORC’s North Sea Race which starts from Royal Harwich Yacht Club and sails to the Dutch port of Scheveningen has been cancelled. The race – which was due to start on 22nd May – has traditionally joined forces with Scheveningen Yacht Club’s North Sea Regatta (the Vuurschepen Offshore Race) which was to celebrate its 75th regatta anniversary. Dutch authorities have currently closed the port, the Club, and limited recreation activities until 1st June. events will take place in 2021.
- March 27: the Vice Admiral’s Cup Regatta, scheduled for 15th-17th May is cancelled. This inshore regatta has enjoyed considerable growth in recent years and has become a ‘must-do’ event for one-design and specialist classes. With competitors needing to confirm details for the regatta, and with the RORC Cowes Club House being closed in line with Government guidelines, it was felt prudent and in the interest of all parties to cancel the event early.
- March 26: Vic-Maui’s trustees and committee chairs have concluded that it is in the best interests of competitors and other stakeholders to cancel the 2020 Vic-Maui International Yacht Race. The race had been scheduled to start in July 2020. Read more
- March 26: The CYCA has announced the postponement of the PONANT Sydney Noumea Yacht Race until June/July 2021 and the postponement of the Noakes Sydney Gold Coast Yacht Race until after the end of the COVID-19 restrictions. Read more
- March 25: The Real Club Náutico de Palma announces the postponement of the 17th edition of the Palmavela regatta due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The new dates, also planned for 2020, are to be determined. Read more
- March 23: The 25th edition of Les Voiles d’Antibes scheduled from June 3 to 7, 2020 has been postponed to September 16 to 20, 2020
Since 1996, Les Voiles d’Antibes, organized each year around the first week of June, marks the opening of the Mediterranean circuit for Traditional Yachts and Metric Classes (and the first stage of the Panerai Classic Yachts Challenge of 2006 to 2018). Read more
- March 23: The Newport Bermuda Race is cancelled. The next edition takes place in 2022. Read more
- March 20: this year’s Round the Island Race is rescheduled from May 30 to 26 September. Read more
- March 19: the RORC Easter Challenge which was due to take place in the Solent between 10-12th April is cancelled. Antigua Sailing Week is cancelled and will happen in 2021
- March 17: the 73rd annual Newport to Ensenada Yacht International Race is rescheduled until April 23, 2021. Read more
- March 16: Regata del Sol al Sol scheduled for 24 April 2020 has been postponed to next year Read more
- March 16: the 2020 Antigua Bermuda Race has been cancelled after consultation with both the Governments of Antigua & Barbuda and Bermuda. The Start was planned on May 6. Read more
- March 15: the St. Thomas International Regatta (STIR) 2020, originally scheduled for March 27-29 has been postponed. Read more
- March 14: 2020 St Barth Bucket Regatta is cancelled Read more
- March 13: the BVI Spring Regatta Board has been instructed to postpone the 2020 BVI Spring Regatta and Sailing Festival as a matter of public health and safety. Read more